Thread: check in

Default check in

Wow, this site has been really quiet! Is there anybody out there???

We are still studying the Civil War and I have been amazed how much my son has enjoyed it. Now that the weather is nice, he wants to do school outside as much as possible. After I read our "read aloud" (just finished Behind Rebel Lines) he wants to play war and act out what we read. Our dogs have been his runaway slaves on the Underground R.R., Confederate Spies, and Union guards.
    So far I think we are enjoying the SL books I added the best. Ds liked Turn Homeward Hannalee and Behind Rebel Lines so much he begged for more. (that is NOT a common occurance around here ) In fact, I just loaned Behind Rebel Lines (the true story of a woman who poses as a man to join the Union army and then takes on many identities as a spy) to my neighbor who wanted to read it after hearing my ds talk about it with such excitement!

So if anybody is still out there, what are you studying and how is it going?

I'm here!
    Just so busy with school that I don't get on the forums very often now.

We are only on week 3, but it is going so well. I found a 4 minute clip on Youtube about the Iron Clad ships that we watched today and my dd knew so much about the ship already from reading Iron Thunder, that it really impressed me! She is not into history at all. But, WP is wetting her appetite and may help me re-kindle an interest.

I like the hands-on things we are doing. Making ink and acting out the battle. The only thing I had hoped they would like but didn't want to do was the paper soldiers. Not sure we will do that at all. Too bad. It looked fun. My ds is using Legos instead to act out the battles. Our Civil War looks very Star Wars-ish.

I do pray this good feeling stays with us.
    Glad to hear it's good for you as well.

Blessings~
    Janet

i was wondering who everyone else was doing too. i figured that you have been all busy. it sounds like everyone is doing really well.

we just finished civil war and have gotten into westward expansion again. civil war has been great and my ds was actually disappointed when i told him we were done with it. i'm glad about that. he told me is liking history this year and its his favorite subject this year. its such a relief since it was like pulling teeth the last few years.

other then that i'm in the middle of week 7. and i'm hoping to go through this a bit faster since we covered most of it last year. but ds wants to take a side track to wild bill hickock and the pony express.

well loves.
    married to great man of god

ds, 9: HIH (with lots of add stuff), Language Lessons Elem 1, Daily Grammar, Grammar Ace, WWE3, SL 4/5 grade reader's, TT4, RAH,

dd, 6:HIH, Language Lesson little one 3, WWE1, ETC 1-3, FLL1, AAS1, AAR1, SL1 readers, horizon math 1 & MUS alpha

ds, 3: teach you child in 100 easy lessons, saxon K

my blog: http://raisingsuperherokids.blogspot.com/
    Used: AS1, AS2, WP LAPreK, LA1, SL's Core B, SL's LA1

Default check in

Hi,

I have not been on the forums since 2008! Oh my.

We're using RR and AW this year.

Vicki

Week 29 or 30 in AA-1 We're rushing for the finish line here since Summer officially started 6 days ago.

that's sounds great. we are stuck at week 16. mainly cause its been the holidays and i haven't had the time to schedule the some of the books i've wanted to add for then following weeks. so we've been working on LA and math stuff.

ds, 9: HIH (with lots of add stuff), Language Lessons Elem 1, Daily Grammar, Grammar Ace, WWE3, SL 4/5 grade reader's, TT4, RAH,

dd, 6:HIH, Language Lesson little one 3, WWE1, ETC 1-3, FLL1, AAS1, AAR1, SL1 readers, horizon math 1 & MUS alpha

How's everyone doing?
    ds (9yo)
    CATW, Memoria Press Insects, Harvey's Elementary Grammar and Comp, TT, AOPS, Kumon Math
    ds (18yo)
    Berea College- Computer Science
    ds (21yo)

Berea College- Asian Studies

we've got a few more weeks left. we are on week 30. but i'm planning on doing 2 weeks at a time. just so i can finish up the year. other then that we are just working our way to finish up school. i'm excited about that. mainly so i can start on next year and have some what of a break.

how is everyone else doing.