Thread: At What Age Do You Begin Teaching Cursive Writing?

Default At What Age Do You Begin Teaching Cursive Writing?

The question of the week is: At what age do you begin to teach your child cursive writing?
    Dd has been begging for me to teach her cursive writing using the italic method. Since LLATL doesn't begin teaching cursive writing until the third grade level I told her she would have to wait until we were using the yellow book level. Her response was to "Let's skip the red level and move onto the yellow book so I can learn to write fancy cursive!" LOL!
    Kathy
    Married to "Professor Logic"
    Mom to "Little Miss Logic"
    Galloping the Globe, WAM, LLATL, Horizons Math
    "So many curriculums, so little time to use them all."

Default Interesting conversation

I had an interesting conversation today with a p.s. mom and her dd is learning cursive along with printing in first grade. I was commenting on how my ds while in 3rd grade p.s. started cursive and then it was abandoned before making it through the alphabet. Nothing in 4th grade. I h.s. him for 5th and we did it then.

The real answer probably depends on the child's fine motor skills. I would think cursive would require control more than printing. You could try some and see how it goes.
    - Bev
    For 2013/14:
    dd11 - QRR, Apologia Gen Sci, WP LA7, Horizons Pre-Algebra
    ds16 - QRR, Henle Latin I/II & community college
    ds22 - College grad with a job!
    dh of 30 years

WP programs used previously:
    AW, AS1, AS2, S&S, CATW, QAW, QMA, 1-yr US, & various LAs

WP Yahoo Group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WinterPromiseFamilies

My ds wanted to learn cursive, but he didn't follow through once I bought him
    a book. I suspect it was more work than he anticipated. I believe in following the child's lead to some extent, so I let him try at age 6, but won't require him to follow through until it's scheduled in our WP LA.
    Jennifer C.
    Married to John, Mommy of Gabriel, age 3
    Andrew, 3rd (Amer Story 2 on our own schedule, Animals and Their Worlds for science, BJU Math, AOP Lifepac LA3, Truthquest readers)
    Joshua, 6th (TruthQuest History AHYS 2 with parts of AC2, Adaptive Curriculum Science, AOP Lifepac LA6, Thinkwell Math/Life of Fred, WP readers, Truthquest Beginnings for Bible) Past:AS1-2,WAM,AW,S&S,HIH&IRTL

I personally started it with my kids in 3rd grade. I could have started my daughter even younger because she had good fine motor skills.
    I would let your daughter give cursive a try and see how she does with it. Tell her you'll give it a "trial run", if you want.
    I would only do that though if her printing is pretty good though.
    I tried Italic cursive with my older daughter and ditched it. I've also used D'nealian and Zaner-Bloser, lol.
    Finally I settled on HWOT (Handwriting Without Tears) for my youngest. That was the best decision concerning handwriting that I ever did. I didn't like how it looked compared to all of the other handwriting programs but it's been the easiest to teach and also makes the nicest results for ds.

Anyway, if she is so gung-ho about it, you can always let her give it a try. I have heard that some parents teach cursive in first grade so that it becomes more automatic by the time the child is older.
    Jenn, Wife to Charles
    Mom to:
    "Emily" Homeschool graduate with Psychology & International Studies degrees
    "Bear" Homeschool graduate- Army Chinook Helicopter Mechanic with his own baby boy
    and "Otter" 9th grader CHP and Police Explorer
    Homeschool helper to:
    Rabbit (grammar stage)

We've used: AW, AS2, CAW, S&S

GuestHollow.com
    Free printables and more...
    My Homeschool Blog
    Sea & Sky Extras and "Gravy" (and pictures)
    w/ printable schedule

Animals & Their World Extras

My ds JUST asked.... actually it was during church and I let him scribble in a book and I thought it would be funny and wrote his name in cursive to have him try to copy it and take up some time... then he wanted more and more. We just got home from a friends and they have a poster of teh alphabet in cursive and he was like "Mom!!!! LOOK!!! I want that!!!" guess I better oblige and we will see how it goes.

I was taught cursive in PreK (in Europe) but was banned from actually using it in school until 3rd grade...

DS 9 - Horizons Math 4, IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating, Sequential Spelling 2, AS 2, RS4K Physics, Faith and Life 4, HWT

DD 7 - Horizons Math 2, LA 2, AS 2, Faith and Life 2, HWT
    DD 4 - LA PreK, HWT, Horizens Math K (slowly)
    DD 2 - Getting into everything.

www.homeschoolblogger.com/lindygirl
    Once Upon a Sling

WP programs completed:
    Animals and Their Worlds (twice), American Story 1, Sea & Sky
    LA: preK (twice), Adv K (twice), 1, 2

We start cursive when the children are begging to learn and I feel their fine motor skills are ready. That seems to be around age 7-8 for us. We use A Reason for Handwriting, and that has worked well for us.
    Jennifer
    Wife To Wonderful Hubby, Todd, for 22 years

Mom to 7 Awesome Kids
    Joshua (17) Senior
    Grace (14) Freshman
    Faith (12) 7th
    Josiah (10) 5th
    Shania Joy (4) PK
    Elijah and Hope(3) PK

Homeschooling at Harmony Academy
    Romans 15:5,6

Finished SL K, SL3, AS2, QAW, QMA, CATW, AA1, AC, QAW 2nd time, Currently doing QMA for the 2nd time

www.butterfliesinthecity.blogspot.com

I think we started around the end of second grade. Mostly I based it upon when they had mastered the art of printing neatly and had the fine motor skills to learn it.
    Alisa-Mom of 3