PDA

View Full Version : Horizons Math vs Math Mammoth vs Math on the Level

svwkirby
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I posted the same question on another forum, but realized there might be people here that aren't there. If anyone has experience with 1 or 2 of the programs that would help me narrow things down too. :)

For the first time since K started picking curriculum is up to me instead of the state's virtual academy and I've figured out almost everything by math (I think). Can someone compare Math on the Level, Math Mammoth, and Horizons for me? Both boys did really well with the K12 math used by the virtual academy, but I'm not willing to pay for it from here on out. Not to mention I really don't like the way they started teaching dividing a 2 digit number by a 1 digit number.

From the website, I really like the looks of Math on the Level, but I haven't seen any of these programs IRL. I think part of my draw towards that one is being able to make a 1 or 2 time purchase and have it last through 8th grade (or equivalent math level). I also like that I could use the same program for both boys. They'll be starting 2nd and 4th grade next year if that makes a difference in any of these programs. TIA

lovedtodeath
05-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I would not recommend Horizons. It is fast moving with very little teacher helps. It amounted to just completing a worksheet when we used it. I don't have experience with the other 2, but I have tried samples of Math Mammoth and would recommend it over Horizons.

MM and Horizons are worksheet based and MOTL is the exact opposite. I prefer to have a program that meets in the middle. Miquon, Right Start, and Abeka are more balanced, IMHO.

svwkirby
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Carmen. Maybe I'll take a look at some of the others. K12 has been pretty fast moving so that's not a big concern to me. DH used Abeka when he was in school so he's familiar with it. That would probably be an easy one to get used too.

BevG
05-26-2009, 02:32 PM
My dd loves Horizons! It is a spiral approach, so if they don't get it the first time, it will come back. I found my dd learns by repetition so this works out great for her. My dd loves the colored pages - that is a big plus for us. She loves workbooks and she loves the variety of problems in one lesson. So for her, I am thinking we will stay with it until Grade 6 - the last year.

On the other hand, when we started homeschooling ds in 5th grade, we used Horizons 6. I was fortunate enough to live near a hs store, so I was able to show him the various choices. He liked the color and the variety of problems in Horizons, but soon tired of the spiral method. He is more of a mastery and move on person.

I personally love the idea of Singapore math. It uses logic and critical thinking to present and teach math ideas. So it appeals to me. However, my children don't approach things from that viewpoint, so we don't use it.

So a big consideration in choosing a math program is how your children learn.

Like Carmen said, you also need to consider how much teacher guidance you need. She is right, the Horizon teacher manuals don't tell you much about "how" to teach the subject. If you want word by word instruction on how to teach, you might consider Abeka. My friend uses it for math and tells me it contains that level of detail.

Another consideration is how much you want to be involved in the lesson. The hands-on math programs seem to require more teacher direction, while the workbook based ones are more student independent.

Hope that gives you some ideas to consider when picking your program!

Jen in Japan
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
We've used Horizons K-6th (my 2nd child will do 6th grade books next year, so that means I have gone through the series TWICE).

Bev gave a wonderful description above and yes, that is WHY we use it. The colored pages, only "6 problems of each type" (while spiralling through previously intro'd concepts), the student independence. I haven't found the NEED for more teacher instruction. Every lesson begins with an explanation of a new baby-step concept and that has always sufficed for us.

That said, it's an advanced program. The K level intro's "skip counting" early and continues to encourage the child to practice. If I recall, in the winter, we hit skip counting of 3's and 4's (then later 6's (3X2) and 8's (4X2)) and so we slowed a little until DD figured it out. AFTER THAT, Horizons never has such a big jump and it's boasted that it is half-a-grade-level-ahead of most grade level programs overall the levels.

That is probably also why we like it. :)

I would try to see samples of all the programs you are considering before you decide.

svwkirby
05-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for more input Jen and Bev. The levels on Horizons sound like they'd be fine. K12 also introduced skip counting pretty early in K if I remember right. Multiplication and division concepts were introduced in 2nd and then built on this year.

I really wish there was a way I could find samples of the different math programs, but living in a small town makes that tough. I think I'm really leaning towards Math on the Level, but am nervous about pulling the trigger on something site unseen other than the website. Granted that's what I'm doing with WP too though, lol.

lovedtodeath
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
More information on Math on the Level:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42500

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=916519&postcount=6

Wonderful review for Horizons Jen. What do you use after Horizons 6?

tinyfeet
05-27-2009, 12:24 AM
i used horizon math for my son this year when we started homeschooling and i loved it. he kind of. (he just doesn't like school work). it is a great program, i think, and we are using it again. i'm not telling you anything knew. everyone else gave great discriptions on it. and agree with them. but wanted to give you link to some samples of horizon math. so you can at least look over some of the stuff you might be doing.
i will tell you that what i loved about the program is that my son is well above most in his age group for what he should know. i have a few friends who are teachers and have taught his grade level at one time or another in their career. i ask what he should be learning and when and what are the things he's having trouble with. they tell me if this is normal and if i should be concerned and what i can do. i found that he's well ahead (like 2 grade levels) then most kids his age, if we sent him to public school and even some of his homeschool friends his age. i love that it taught him all the stuff he should know and more for his age.

http://www.aophomeschooling.com/horizons/grade-2/math/jmc200.prod

svwkirby
05-28-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for all the info and links. There were some really good points for and against Math on the Level in them. I hate feeling so wishy washy on something as important as math. Both boys have a good foundation in math so now I'm wondering if as much as possible I shouldn't stick with the if it's not broken don't fix it. I'm not going to pay as much as K12 wants for their program, but Horizons looks pretty close to the workbook portion of K12 from the samples. I need to look at Math Mammoth's sample pages again too. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to take a look at Abeka and BJU either.

Sorry, I'm rambling here. Even though I've been homeschooling for 4 years I've never been the one responsible for picking curriculum since the state always just shipped what they used.

Homeschooling6
05-28-2009, 08:52 AM
I would not recommend Horizons. It is fast moving with very little teacher helps. It amounted to just completing a worksheet when we used it. I don't have experience with the other 2, but I have tried samples of Math Mammoth and would recommend it over Horizons.

MM and Horizons are worksheet based and MOTL is the exact opposite. I prefer to have a program that meets in the middle. Miquon, Right Start, and Abeka are more balanced, IMHO.

what does MOTL mean:)

lovedtodeath
05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Math on the Level

In the spirit of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", when I can stick to a good established school program (like BJU or Abeka), then I do it (especially with grammar and math). I always consider those first. I think it is the way to stay on the safe side.

Rainy
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I posted the same question on another forum, but realized there might be people here that aren't there. If anyone has experience with 1 or 2 of the programs that would help me narrow things down too. :)

For the first time since K started picking curriculum is up to me instead of the state's virtual academy and I've figured out almost everything by math (I think). Can someone compare Math on the Level, Math Mammoth, and Horizons for me? Both boys did really well with the K12 math used by the virtual academy, but I'm not willing to pay for it from here on out. Not to mention I really don't like the way they started teaching dividing a 2 digit number by a 1 digit number.

From the website, I really like the looks of Math on the Level, but I haven't seen any of these programs IRL. I think part of my draw towards that one is being able to make a 1 or 2 time purchase and have it last through 8th grade (or equivalent math level). I also like that I could use the same program for both boys. They'll be starting 2nd and 4th grade next year if that makes a difference in any of these programs. TIA

I use time4learning.com for my soon to be 2nd grader and he loves it . for my soon to be 4th grader we just started using TT4 and teaching textbooks is the best program I have ever used. It keeps track of everything for you grades, quizes, assignments etc. and my dd can use it independently which frees me up to do other things. I can not say enough about it we tried so many programs in the beginning when I pulle dthem from public school to hs and math was the dreaded time of day where they whinned and cried . Since starting the TT with my dd I actually look forwward to math. I would reccomend using the placement test on thier website to see what level to use my dd tested well TT5 but because she has trouble with mult. and division we got TT4 and started in the middle of the program so we could review that before moving on . the other great thing is I can reuse the same program for my ds who is 2 grades behind her so the expense was justified for me ( I think it was $110 for the program with free shipping) . In the fall they are coming out with TT3 and I will order this for DS as soon as its available . Sorry for the long post but TT really is that great !

svwkirby
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
In the spirit of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", when I can stick to a good established school program (like BJU or Abeka), then I do it (especially with grammar and math). I always consider those first. I think it is the way to stay on the safe side.

And that's about where I am right now, lol. I think that approach would make DH more comfortable too if we went with a company that's been around a while instead of something new and relatively untested.